Recently it was announced that the Canadian government is set to launch its first STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) category-based selection round the week of July 5 to meet the growing demand for talent and fill key positions that contribute to the nation’s economic growth and technological advancement.
As this news is doing rounds in the market so we decided to make a detailed article regarding the STEM category-based selection.
- Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) professions
- Trades, such as carpenters, plumbers, and contractors
- Agriculture and agri-food
What are the STEM occupations?
There are 24 occupations in the STEM occupations category. Some of these occupations include:
- Civil engineers
- Data scientists
- Engineer managers
- Land surveyors
- Mathematicians, statisticians, and actuaries
- Software developers and programmers
- Urban and land use planners
- Web developers and programmers
Why were STEM occupations chosen?
The high rate of retirement and the evolving technology and automation of businesses and every day life have led to a lack of skills in Canada’s STEM labor force, according to a report released by Statistics Canada at the end of 2022.
There were 56,915 job vacancies in the category of Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services at the end of 2022 Q4. As part of the 2023 Federal Budget, $20 billion will be invested to support the construction of major clean electricity and growth infrastructure projects, which in turn will increase demand for tech workers.
According to the Global AI Index, Canada ranks fourth for its global competitiveness in IV innovation, implementation, and investment in the AI sector, which has increased demand for tech workers.
Who is eligible for the STEM occupations category?
To be eligible under the new category for STEM professionals, you must:
- Meet the eligibility criteria of one of the Express Entry programs
- Have accumulated, within the past 3 years, at least 6 months of continuous work experience in one of the listed occupations
- Meet all of the other requirements in the instructions for the round