A Joint Master’s Programme in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence has been launched in collaboration by IIT Madras and The University of Birmingham.
This is the first time that any IIT has partnered with the UK Russell Group of Universities, IIT Madras claims.
The application deadline for the joint program is June 11, 2023. Candidates who are selected will study in Chennai and Birmingham, and both institutions will award a single degree. They will also need to complete a research project.
Highlighting the unique aspects of this program, Prof. Adam Tickell, Vice-Chancellor and Principal, University of Birmingham, commented: “Our landmark new Joint Masters programmes open new and exciting opportunities to study in two countries, benefitting from the expertise and industry links of both IIT Madras and the University of Birmingham.
Prof. Adam Tickell added, “Successful applicants will experience a global perspective as they learn the fundamental principles of data science and explore the world of AI. Our research-informed teaching will put students at the forefront of these rapidly evolving fields.”
On completing the second semester, you will have the option to choose between two tracks. The choice is yours, and whichever track you choose, you can be assured of a world-class education and an experience that will set you up for success in your future career.
Track 1: Complete your research project and attend electives at the University of Birmingham, leading to an overall continuous stay of 12 months in the UK.
Track 2: Return to IIT Madras to complete your research project and attend electives in Chennai
Speaking about this collaboration, Prof. V. Kamakoti, Director, IIT Madras, said: “This is a great beginning for a long and fruitful association with the University of Birmingham. We look forward to several such engagements with the University, in various growth areas of IIT Madras.”
Why study this Joint Master’s?
- Top-Ranked Institutions
- Both the University of Birmingham and IIT Madras have strong reputations for academic excellence and research.
- The University of Birmingham’s School of Computer Science is world-renowned for its education and research.
- IIT Madras’ is recognized as an Institute of Eminence by the government of India for excellence in technical education, research, innovation, entrepreneurship and industrial consultancy.
Specialization in Data Science and AI
- Get the opportunity to learn from highly experienced academics and leading industry professionals.
- The University of Birmingham is a partner in the Alan Turing Institute, the UK’s national institute for data science and artificial intelligence. Birmingham has state-of-the-art, multi-million-pound facilities, including dedicated laboratories for Computer Science students, a teaching laboratory for Robotics, and research laboratories for Security, Medical Imaging, Intelligent Robotics and Computer Vision.
- IIT Madras has world-class infrastructure for research in Data Science and AI, including high-performance computing facilities, cloud computing resources, and advanced software tools. The institute has several Centres of Excellence in the field, including the Robert Bosch Centre for Data Science and AI. These centres provide a platform for interdisciplinary research and collaboration.